How To Install Visual Studio
I have been using Visual Studio all the back to the 2010 version and I used every version since then. There's usually a new visual studio with every major .NET release. Visual Studio helps speed up the production of writing code. It is good at debugging and helping to resolve syntax and compile issues. Now there is even AI-suggested auto fill which is a nice touch.
So in this article, I'll show you how to set it up for the use of C#.
How To Set up Visual Studio For Windows
- The first step is go to the Visual Studio website at: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/
- Go down to download Visual Studio and click the button. There are three options Community 2022, Professional 2022, and Enterprise 2022. We'll go with the free version of Community 2022.
- The download will start. Once the download is completed. Go to where the VisualStudioSetup.exe is downloaded. For Windows, it is usually in C:/User/'user_name'/Downloads
- Double-click or right-click on the file and click open.
- Visual Studio will ask you to agree to the privacy and license terms by hitting continue. Click continue.
- Next, there will be a window that shows the Visual Studio installer downloading and installing them. This is only for the installer. There will be additional prompts after this for installing Visual Studio.
- After some time, The next screen will show what workload will be installed. There are different packages to choose from. Don't worry about what you pick here, you can always come back and install or uninstall the different workloads. For this example, I'm just going to install, the .NET desktop development workload. If you see on the right side there are the different components that will be installed. There is a tab for the specific components, and language packs but to just get started I'm just going to install the current workload. Click Install in the bottom right-hand corner.
- This brings us to where Visual Studio is downloading and then installed at the same time. You can see the other visual studio versions that are installed. It'll take a few minutes to download and install.
- Visual Studio will open up and will ask for your preference on the theme.
- Visual Studio is now ready to be used. This is the start screen.
C# Programming for Unity Game Development Specialization
No previous experience is necessary
3-months at 10 hours a week (At your pace)
$59 / month or audit, and financial aid available
If you want to learn more about C# then check out this course on Coursera. It's a 3 month course to take you through the basics of C#.
You can get started with programming using C# and apply it to Unity games in this beginner-level program. Facilitated by the University of Colorado, the program offers a chance to grasp the basics of C# and utilize the knowledge to develop Unity games.
[Full Disclosure: As an affiliate, I receive compensation if you purchase through this link]Start Your 7-day Free Trial